Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chiang Mai: Snake Charmer


The main event of this stop on the tour was to watch a “snake charmer” (much like a lion tamer) do a bunch of tricks with a variety of different venomous snakes including cobras. The whole thing was pretty cheesy in my opinion, but it was interesting to see some of the snakes.


The cobras really do sit right up and watch you while you walk by – very creepy.


Because I was one of the few to react calmly to the site of a large python out of its cage, one of the workers decided that I would also like to wear it around my neck. Although I didn’t really know what was happening until the weight of this enormous snake was draped around my neck, I really enjoyed the experience – very cool.


FYI for any of my fellow reptilian lovers (David? Don?) cobra's skin feels amazing. It doesn’t even compare to that of a python or boa. The whole cobra felt like the underside of most snakes but even smoother and with more of a lacquered quality.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the words of one of my high school teachers: "When I meet a snake, it means that one of us is going to die."

You have bigger balls than I do, Gillis.

Ooknabah said...

Wow V, you go to Thailand and suddenly go all Dr. Doolittle on us.

Very very cool. I'll send you an e-mail and let you know how life is going. In short- CRAZY!

Anonymous said...

You actually held/touched a cobra?! (what you're holding there is a burmese python.) ;)
I'm not that brave.. I've kept my handling to things that won't kill me. :)

Galapagos said...

Hehe. Monkeys and tigers and pythons.. Oh my! (Oh and giraffes). Man you're so right.

I wonder if Miss Doolittle would be easier for my students to pronounce than Miss Veronica... :P

Galapagos said...

The snake charmer was holding the head so it wasn't that big of a deal. But yeah, the skin was amazing.

As far as the Burmese python is concerned, they're not the same as the pet shop variety (less used to humans I guess), they'll bite if you don't hold their mouth shut...As I am in the picture..)

Anonymous said...

K.........
You're simply crazier than I thought. Is there anything you WON'T try? I am not worthy.....
Makes the Manitoba snakepits look pitiful.

Paula