Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chiang Mai: I’m pretty sure I just climbed a mountain




I should have probably looked into what “trekking” meant before going on this tour, but in the end I’m happy I did it.


Ashley and I signed up for the tour because it seemed like the best way to cram the most of Chiang Mai into one weekend.  I’m not sure how far we walked, but it took almost 5 hours and was all uphill (note the direction the trees are growing in the previous picture).
   

I don’t think anyone has truly lived until they've walked for 5 hours uphill in +34-37 degree weather.

The sites along the way were phenomenal.  For a good portion of the trek we were walking right alongside a stream, which eventually led to a beautiful waterfall where we took our break.  

The forest was filled with the sounds of rushing water as well cicadas, which I initially mistook for a far away chainsaw.   

Our tour guide, Pan, was very knowledgeable, and his English was very good.  He does this trek once/week with tourists and has a good sense of humour (“watch out for the crocodiles” was one of his favourites). 

The other 7 who had signed up for this same tour included two from Bangkok, four from Israel, and one awesome fellow, Daniel, from Scotland (who at one point on the trek broke into a Barenaked Ladies tune!).  All in all it was a great group and it was nice to get to know some different people.

None of these pictures will do this trip justice.  What I saw, smelled, heard and experienced was absolutely exceptional and will be undoubtedly be one of the most memorable weekends of my life.

2 comments:

Notme2000 said...

Wow, looks like you're having a blast! Some amazing stories already!

Chrissy Crate said...

thats awesome veronica im so happy for you!! what a experience!!!!