Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Toilets!

The highly anticipated toilet post!

The first toilet that I used in Thailand looked like this:

These are pretty standard at public restrooms in Thailand.  These “squatters” have no running water (you fill that bucket with water from the hose on the left and pour it into the toilet to flush it).  That little bin on the bottom right is for feminine products and in the case of tourists, toilet paper (which you make sure to carry with you in your purse/backpack).  If you’re smart you’ll also carry a plastic bag of some sort with you as many washrooms also aren't supplied with any waste paper baskets to put said toilet paper in.

Needless to say I was thrilled to see that my washroom was super high class (I'm talking LUXURY here.  A seat, AND running water!  I really am SO lucky).

I’m still not supposed to throw toilet paper into this one either, but that’s FAR from the inconvenience that I was expecting. 

Oh, and in case you were wondering what the Thai alternative to toilet paper might be, check out the hose to the left of the toilet.  The infamous bum gun!  I haven’t felt the need to test this out yet, but I can only assume it would be a comparable experience to that of a bidet, but with the combined qualities of a pressure washer.  Could be fun?  I’ll let you know if I ever give it a try.

3 comments:

Terry said...

mmmm, looks like it smells good, at least you don't have to squat over a tin can and toss it on your neighbors roof after.... or would that be more fun? hmmm

Anonymous said...

If you have one adventure in Thailand, I recommend the bum gun.

Inspired Reality said...

If you think about it a bum gun really makes more sense. Since when is wiping a proper form of cleaning anyway? I say the more water the better.

And what better way to wake up in the morning that a refreshing jet of cold water?