Monday, June 2, 2008

School differences: Class lists

I forgot to post an entry about this when I first got the class lists.  But there were a couple of notable differences on the list in comparison to a class list in Canada.

One expected difference:  The names

The names were all Thai, but much easier to pronounce than I was expecting.  Every student has, at a young age, been given a nickname by a Buddhist monk.  I have seen the birth names of my students and am extremely grateful that they go by their shorter names.  A few examples of these names are:  Flook, Meng Hao, Tah, or Nupuk (meanwhile a sample birth name might be Ritthirong, or Chosita Khunchai).

The second, more unexpected difference:  The "disabilities" heading

One student in my class had "vegetarian" listed as a disability.
This surprised me, but not as much as when I glanced at my friend's class list that one of her students was labeled with the disability "Hindu".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'de like to think that if I went to school in Thailand my Disability would be "giant", that would be awsome!
Mel