Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Grand Palace


The Grand Palace was built in the late 1700's and served as the residence and offices of King of Siam at the time, Rama I.   His reign and the construction of this complex took place shortly after the fall of Ayutthaya.

The Grand Palace was overwhelmingly ornate.  Many people that I traveled with used the word “beautiful” to describe it.  It was amazing, it was elaborate, it was very shiny.  It's construction was obviously expensive, but I wouldn’t have chosen the word beautiful in it's description.  It just didn’t suit my taste I suppose. 

I was happy that I went of course, just as I would be happy to see any art from the Rococo period.  The palace was incredible.  The intricacy of the construction alone was well worth the trip. 

I’m also certain that I will never have the chance to see that much gold again in my lifetime.

 

And some of the statues were very clever.

The temple with the emerald Buddha was a highlight (cameras were forbidden inside this temple). 

But the enormous reclining Buddha just outside of the Grand Palace was my favourite on this excursion.  (See last photo below for scale)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say again that your blog is a total lifesaver for me when I'm bored at work! It's always super interesting and has great pictures. Thanks man you really help me through being incredibly bored.
Mel

Galapagos said...

I'm happy you're enjoying it, Mel. You're always the first to comment too. Nice to know I have such a dedicated fan! Heh. :P