Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mangosteens, Rambutans, and other amazing fruit

In most markets as well as at street vendors, you can typically purchase pineapple, watermelon, longan berries, lychee nuts, durian, dragon fruit, mangosteens, and rambutans.

Pineapple and Watermelon:

One will cost you about 15 or 20 baht (under 60 cents) and they are sold pre-cut and peeled in bags with sticks.  The quality of both of these is outstanding.  Pineapple was my favourite fruit before going to Thailand, but I really had no idea what I was missing quality-wise.  I’d probably come back to Thailand for the pineapple alone.

Durian:

I never quite expected to see durian in as large quantities as I have been exposed to.  I tried this crazy spiked fruit back in Winnipeg (they sell them at Superstore if anyone is interested).  I can’t say that I’m a fan.  Their aesthetic and smell does add character to the market though.  

Longan Berries:  Look like a cross between very small potatoes and walnuts, but they grow on a vine like grapes.  The inside is very similar to that of a mangosteen (see below).

Dragon Fruit:

Oh so pretty.  Texture of a kiwi, flavour of a melon cross-bred with a pepper.  I like them but haven't gone out of my way to purchase them.  

Lori loves them.  :P

Mangosteens and Rambutans – My two new favourites:

Mangosteens look a little bit like a plum from the outside but unlike a plum, it’s only the centre that you CAN eat.  The outer shell is purple and then the centre is fleshy, white and divided into 5-10 segments.  The flavour and texture of this part is like a cross between a mango and a peeled blueberry.

Rambutans are super exciting looking on the outside and unlike any fruit that I’ve seen before.  They are the size and shape of a kiwi, with a colourful shell that’s almost nut-like.  The inside of the Rambutan has the texture of a peeled grape with the pit of an olive in the centre.  The flavour is similar to that of lychee.

 

In an attempt to find more pictures of crazy fruit that I’ve eaten, I found the following link. http://www.knowphuket.com/fruit.htm  

I’ve eaten everything on this link except for snakefruit.  I love Thailand.

2 comments:

Amazing Thailand said...

Impressive blog,i am interested to eat these fruits.

Sam Phuket said...

Very interesting blog.
I am in Thailand for a while and peoples a so friendly with a rich culture and high respect of traditions.
In Cambodia the temple of Angkor is just amazing. Rush to visit it because Angkor, unfortunately...