Monday, July 28, 2008

Condensing the last four weeks into one post

So, with everything coming to an end, I've had very little time to write.  Here's a VERY rushed summary of my last four weekends/holidays in chronological order.

Buriram:
Awesome.  Such a genuine experience.  The village was amazing and I got to learn a lot about life as a rice farmer / silk weaver.





Erawan Falls - Kanchanaburi:
I was sad that I missed seeing these waterfalls during my last visit to Kanchanaburi, so I went back with Lori to check them out.  Absolutely beautiful.  There were 7 different tiers to the falls and each was more breathtaking than the last.




Monkeys!

Cambodia:
Phnom Pehn:  Everything that was a culture shock to me when I arrived in Thailand was enhanced exponentially in Cambodia.  Traffic, invasion of personal space (harassed constantly for money), and extreme poverty were a few of the most intense differences.  Most areas in Phnom Pehn are also not nearly as developed as Bangkok which gave it an interesting feel.  




Cambodian gas station (for scooters):

I got to finally check out some Muay Thai boxing (the guy in the bottom pic has a board with about 12 cell phones strapped to it.  There were many of these guys taking multiple people's bets over the phone).


I hardly took any pictures of S-21 (the Genocide Museum) or of the Killing Fields.  I won't write anything about either site either.  It was far too much of an emotional experience to summarize into one short entry.  These two stops were by far the darkest of my trip to S.E. Asia.

Angkor Wat was incredible.  I thought Ayutthaya was already very impressive.  We spent a whole 12 hours exploring the ruins (of Angkor Tom and Ta Prohm as well).  











Back in Thailand - Southern beaches (Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, Krabi).  The weather was cloudy or raining 3 of the 4 days, but it was a relaxing way to end the trip.  




And having finally gotten some sun, I'm now sporting a most impressive watch tan. 

 

No comments: